Thursday, December 4, 2008

First Night in CR

I've arrived safely at my new home in Costa Rica after a long day of travel. Menlha met me at the airport and dropped me off here at the resort for the night. Tomorrow, I'll move in to the little house she has prepared for me. It's 10:00 pm and I'm the only one at Hacienda del Sol tonight...desides D'Ogee and the vast amount of scary bugs and who knows what other creatures that are lurking around here. I've decided to become friends with the bugs since they are the only things that I don't like aout Costa Rica. I already met with a praying mantis, a ridiculously huge box elder, an upside down cockroach and a bug that looks like it's carrying a giant leaf on its back, and told them I was happy to be sharing the bathroom with them because every time I see them I am reminded that I am in my favorite place in the whole world. That's one way to look at it, eh?
It's incredible to me as I'm wandering around this rustic little resort alone at night with the warm breeze blowing through my cabina and listening to some kind of creature roaming through the bush near my back door, that I feel so comfortable with it all. I've always felt something special here...how would I describe it? Peace...serenity....acceptance...love. It just feels good to be here again. It's home. I'm thinking of the girls who came here with me last year, my dear friends...Nicole, Tanya, Deb and Olivia, and remembering the joy of sharing this magical place with friends. It's the only thing that makes it more enjoyable. Hopefully, I can convince a few to come visit me this year. Wink. Wink.
At least I get to share it with D'Ogee this year, and so far, he's loving it. It was a delight to travel with him today. I was reminded again of the first reason I ever considered owning a dog...because everywhere I go, people talk to me! It seems like when people see I have a dog with me, their walls suddenly break down and they want to talk. There must be something that subconsciously insinuates a person is nice if they have a dog, because people seem to have very little, if any, hesitation making conversation with me when he's around. I love it! D'Ogee was so good, too. He's never used a kennel before, so I was nervous about making him stay in it the whole flight, but he just sat quietly under the seat in front of me and didn't fuss at all. I took him out on his leash and let him walk when we weren't on the plane. He loved running through the airport. It was very exciting for some reason. He wasn't so sure about the moving sidewalks and escalators, though. I had to turn around and run back up the escalator because he wasn't about to follow me onto it! It made me laugh to watch him dig his little feet into the ground and refuse to get close to those evil moving stairs of death. I wonder what was going through his little doggy mind. It will be fun to watch his reaction to the many new sights and sounds out in the jungle. Right now he's lying under my bed pouting because I'm on the computer....just like home. Time to sleep. Nite. Nite.

5 comments:

Jason and Emily said...

Yippee!

I love imagining you there. I love remembering you telling me your version of paradise, and then there you are actually making (most of) it come true.


"I wonder what was going through his little doggy mind."

I just really want you to write a dialogue between you and D-O-Gee. Hilarious. Or do they have pet psychics in Costa Rica?

Joanna said...

Glad you made it there safely. Be careful will ya? Parying mantis females eat the males after having sex with them, I'm sure they are capable of many more hideous crimes as well, don't get to friendly with all of those critters! Love ya!!!

Linda said...

Don't worry, Jo....I don't plan to snuggle up to any praying mantis', male or female. We're friends...from a distance.

And no, Emily, I don't think they have pet psychics here, but you just gave me an idea...I do need to earn a little extra cash..... :)

Anonymous said...

Glad your safe. I know what you mean about the feeling. I feel the similar in Hawwaii

Kimmy said...

Okay, you rock! I am not surprised at all that you are out in the land Blue Butterflies living in tree house. :) What made you decide go for so long? Winter itself and because you just love it there? I would love to escape Utah in the winter!

Have a blast and I can't wait to keep up to date on your adventure!