Well, it might be a little bit obvious, but I'm really loving being in Costa Rica. I'd say I'm at least 25 times happier than I would be if I were in cold, dark, Utah right now. I have to admit, three months is not going to be long enough. More than likely I will extend my time here.
It's so interesting how much peace I feel in this isolated jungle paradise. For years, I've always dreamed about living like this, but for some reason the opportunity hadn't arisen or I wasn't prepared to make it happen until now. I guess I was so accustomed to my busy, chaotic life in Utah, that it seemed unrealistic to jump into something completely different....and believe me, it is different.
I wake up each morning to a warm breeze blowing over my bed. The first thing I see are miles of tree tops and the ocean in the distance. My alarm clock is the sound of howling monkeys in the trees and carpenter bees buzzing overhead. I usually lie in bed for a while just soaking it all in and saying prayers of gratitude for being where I am.
Some mornings I run up and down the dirt roads that go for miles and miles deeper into the jungle. I pass the most amazing scenery, and sometimes I watch monkeys climbing in the trees or see an iguana rushing across the road or some other exotic animal doing its animal thing.
Nature can be such a spiritual healer. At home, in the city, I find refuge at parks, in canyons, on the lake...anywhere that nature seems to be predominate. Here, it's all nature. I'm completely fine without malls and movie theaters and restaurants and convenience stores. They have their place, but I like that their place is far away from me right now.
I go to bed early here....nine o'clock is late for me! The sun goes down by 6, and after dinner, there is nothing else to do. I love retiring early. I walk up the path to my tree house, and every night I am blown away by how intense the stars are. I can always see Orion's belt, and every single star in the universe seems to be crystal clear. I'm always happy when I take a moment to notice that I am wearing flip flops at night and I don't need a long sleeved shirt. It's one of my favorite feelings...summer nights. Here, it is always a summer night.
I feel like I don't need anything else to make me happy. If I start to feel frustrated or sad or scared, I just take a moment to connect with all the beautiful things around me, express my gratitude to God, and I feel grounded and at peace again. Staying grounded is much more difficult for me at home...so many distractions; so much noise. Yes, I think I will stay a while longer in this safe little haven. I'm sure one day I will have to deal with my 'other' life again, but perhaps I am in the process of making a new life for myself. Why shouldn't I be able to live a simple, peaceful life? Others have found a way to do it. I honestly don't know where this adventure will lead me, but something tells me, I won't be going back to my life in Utah. I've been doing the same thing there for too long, and my spirit is aching to create a change. I can tell it's concocting something. I suppose time will tell....until then, I am grateful to just be. :)
6 comments:
I knew it. ;)
If I help pay the plane ticket for you to get back will you please come home and play with my kids when Bruce has to go back to work after the baby is born?
So are you saying you don't have stress in your life now? Do you think it would work that way for me too?
So I guess we just have to go there if we want to see you.
I so agree, there are so many distractions, we are so used to them we don't even know they are there, until we get away and experience what you are feeling, life can be so different, i'm happy for you.lucky girl :)
Wow. To say I am jealous would be an understatement. I spent 4 months living in Costa Rica for a semester abroad back in 2005. It's a magical place.
Post a Comment