Sunday, January 11, 2009

Liver Cleansing

I'm nervous about what the next few hours hold. I just took two of the four epsom salts that will start me out on detoxifying my liver...a process that keeps some people up all night vomiting and moaning in pain. In 45 minutes I have to guzzle one cup of olive oil mixed with a cup of orange juice. The first swallow has a slight resemblance to an orange cream-cicle. "It might even taste good", one may say, but after 4 or 5 huge gulps and only getting a smidgen of the way through it, the back of the tongue starts to curl and the vomit reflexes begin to kick in.
I did this last year, and thankfully, I didn't have nearly as bad of a reaction as my poor roommate, Deb. Immediately, after taking the juice, you must go to bed, laying on your right side, and suffer through whatever side effects your body produces throughout the night. Deb was up all night throwing up and moaning in pain. I was slightly uncomfortable, but managed to get a decent night's sleep, although the taste of oily cream-cicle continued to haunt my digestive tract and disrupt my slumber. Poor Deb. She was in such pain. Maybe that's why she got so much more out of her liver than I did.
After a miserable night's rest, the next step is to take two more epsom salts early the next morning and do a colema and see what comes out. I'll tell ya..most people get out tons of little green stones that store up in the gallbladder and cause gallstones. I didn't get many out, which is why I debated doing it again this year. Is the self-induced torture worth the results? Well, I'm going to try it again and see. Should I post a picture? :P

4 comments:

Kimmy said...

Isn't epsom salts for baths??? I'm confused.
I would rather die than vomit all night. You girls deserve awards!

Linda said...

Yes, epsom salts are traditionally for baths, and in my opinion, that's where they should stay! They do, however, have an expanding effect on the liver...preparing it for the oil to move through and carry off stones. As nasty as it sounds...it works. My liver is definitely healthier because of it. :)

Dainon. said...

No pictures.

the other Sampsons said...

question: does it work even without a colema?