I've never celebrated May Day before; never knew what that May Pole thing was all about, but this year, I got invited to a May Day celebration complete with fairies, lords, ladies, kings, queens, ceremonies, spirits, ribbons, food, belly dancing, fire throwing and tarot reading. It was a mystical, magical, Beltane evening to welcome in the energies of spring.
One of the many highlights of the evening was sharing a t-pee with this man, David Wolfe aka "Avocado". My sister Marlo often blogs about the country singers she idolizes and how she's not beneath hurling herself on stage just to touch a famous cowboy's boots. Well, comparatively speaking, if this man were a country singer, he'd be the father of them all. I think that would be George Strait in my sister's era; Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson in my dad's time.
In the raw food world, David Wolfe is the guru of all gurus; the fountain of all knowledge; the master teacher on everything great and good that comes from the earth, and I got to sit around a fire in a t-pee with him and share a little one-on-one time. I don't think Marlo would have been able to have been that close to her idol and still carry on a conversation. In fact, judging from her dazed, delirious reaction from running her fingers across his boots before she was dragged off stage by a couple of body guards, I'd say she wouldn't stand a chance of getting anything coherent out of her mouth in George's presence. I, on the other hand, played it very cool and didn't even acknowledge him until he turned to introduce himself to me. At least, that's the way I remember it.
As it turns out, David and I have a lot in common. He loves raw food. I love raw food. He leads retreats in Costa Rica. I attend retreats in Costa Rica. In fact, our favorite retreat centers are only a couple of miles apart...in the same town! He'll be there in May next year. I'll be there in May next year, too. Other commonalities...he loves chocolate (raw, organic, of course). I love chocolate. (And, I confirmed with him that yes, chocolate in it's raw form is healthy and good for you.) Um....what else? He knows my friend Paul in LA. Uh, I know my friend Paul in LA. We both really dig Paul's house. Ya, I'm pretty sure we're cut out of the same mold. Too bad he's off to Arizona today for his next retreat and won't be coming back to Salt Lake for a while. He did say he hopes to run into me in Costa Rica some time....and if you read really close between the lines, that very well could imply that he'd like to continue our conversation walking along the beach under the stars. *Sigh!*
4 comments:
Should I order the raw carrot wedding cake now, or wait until after your couple's cleansing?
hahahaha.... You are so much more mature than Marlo can ever dream of being!!!! I guess that's why you are the big sister:)
Why we ripping on me?!
Ok, for the record... I was TOTALLY cool meeting George Strait. He SOOOO wanted me & was giving me the "I love you" look from on stage as I caressed his foot. And I was calm enough to speak to him... when he sang, "The Best Day" as I was touching his pant leg I calmly spoke, "This is the best day of my life! I love you!" And he smiled at me.
I'm very happy for you, Linda. Did you cry after you met him? I gotta be honest, I wept after my dream came true. It's a natural reaction.
It's nice to know we have a few things in common. Love you sister!
I exaggerate my adoration slightly...makes for a better story. On the other hand, Marlo, I know you are 100% gaga over George. In other words, no, I didn't cry, and no wedding either.
Post a Comment