Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter

I have to admit, I love the Easter holiday simply because of what it represents, and I'm glad it's not hyped up as much as Christmas. This year I was in Costa Rica for Christmas and Easter is hardly even acknowledged where I'm staying. Fortunately, my friend Diana is Catholic, so she's used to celebrating Easter, too. She and I decided to try to find a nearby church and maybe get in a good Easter sermon, so we got dressed up and took the quad (our only mode of transportation). The closest town only has church once in a while...whenever they can get a pastor to come visit, so we figured we'd try the town a little further away. It was about a 20 minute quad ride on dusty roads, but we did find a church...right on the beach. It was an Evangelical church. What an experience!

The first 45 minutes was this woman singing at the top of her lungs and out of tune in a microphone while everyone else sang a long. I swear, the first song was 20 minutes and we were all supposed to stand. Finally, D and I just sat down and listened and prayed that it would be over soon. Granted, this lady was singing with all of her heart to Lord Jesus, and I know that's what really matters, but don't you think if you were going to sing in church, you'd make sure you could carry a tune, too?

After what seemed like an hour, they stopped singing and the preacher got up. (This is all in Spanish, too, by the way.) He started out a good sermon...reading from the book of John and talking about how to gain eternal life through Christ. It was good...but started to drag on, and on, and on, and on....very loud and animated and repeating himself over and over again. It was deafening in that microphone. Plus, it was getting hot in that building, so finally after about 45 minutes of that, we snuck out the back and left. Not exactly what we were hoping for, but an interesting experience nonetheless! We decided to treat ourselves to lunch at Luna Azul on the way home. We figured we deserved it. I'll never complain about church being boring again!



1 comment:

Yeehaw said...

I wish you could have been here for Easter with the kiddos. They would have loved to paint eggs with their "artsy" aunt instead of their "get it done and cleaned up in 5 minutes" mom!